httpd-dev mailing list archives

From ras...@lerdorf.on.ca (Rasmus Lerdorf)
Subject Re: iexpolorer on solaris
Date Wed, 05 Nov 1997 22:46:36 GMT
> http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/97/11/05/msft_x000_1.html
>
> Is this the first software MS has ever made for Unix?  Hm.  I haven't tried
> it yet (working from home today) but the distribution tree is *very*
> interesting - lots of shared libraries and evidence they've ported lots of
> core windows systems stuff to Unix.  Oh, and I love the way they call
> Solaris "sunos5".  :)

But Solaris is sunos5.  Sun calls it that too.  Do a 'uname -a' on any
Solaris box.

As for being the first Unix software?  If you ignore FrontPage and the
extensions, Microsoft was pretty heavily involved in SCO Xenix, and they
had a compiler as well.

I wish they hadn't stripped all their .so files though.

> libolepro32.so: ELF 32-bit MSB dynamic lib SPARC Version 1, dynamically
linked, stripped

Would have been nice to poke around in them.

-Rasmus