httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject Re: Want to add file caching to Apache
Date Thu, 20 Nov 1997 21:47:04 GMT
On Thu, 20 Nov 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Nov 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:
>
> > Igor Tatarinov wrote:
> > > It is relatively easy to get a high hit ratio (>80%) in a Web server
> > > cache (see for example, http://www.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu/~tatarino/pubs/static.ps
> > > you don't need to read it entirely, just look at the graphs)
> >
> > This does not agree with a study Digital did (admittedly that was of
> > proxy caches). If I remember correctly (and it's entirely possible I
> > don't), they got < 40% hits.
>
> I think that is a critical difference.
>
> Consider your 2 meg porn site that gets a million hits a day.  A cache
> would certainly help that.

does it need help ?  :-)

serving static content is pretty trivial and has almost no overhead
on reasonable hardware.

I've got a 586 Pentium 166mhz doing >20 static file requests per second
with 90% idle cpu and a load of ~0.2 . It also acts as a mailing list
server and nameserver when it gets bored.

I'm not knocking the idea of caching but do wonder if it's a solution
to a relatively unimportant problem. Are there better bottlenecks to
take a shot at widening ?