httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject Re: [Fwd: general/1420: M$ compiles and uses Apache as Personal Web Server]
Date Sun, 16 Nov 1997 20:33:54 GMT
On Sun, 16 Nov 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:

> I believe NCSA was public domain up until some version, so it depends
> what they ported.

1.3 was public domain. When the Apache group was born I think we checked
that we could treat the 1.3 code as public domain and base ours on it.

One of the reasons for Apache's creation was that word from NCSA was
their 1.4 would probably have a more restrictive license, and it did too
if I remember correctly.