httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: denying access without challenging?
Date Tue, 25 Nov 1997 19:08:12 GMT

On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Michael Smith wrote:

> I would expect the user to be challenged, and maybe the server would accept the
> challenge but still not let them see the page.  Hmm, the more I think about it the
> more complicated it becomes ...

Oh, that's not what I thought you were asking.  I thought you were asking
how to avoid putting up the password dialogue in the first place.

What you want is possible, but not without modifying the code.  You'd have
to modify the module to return some bogus auth failed code, and detect
that later in the die() routine, and print a different error message and
fix the status to be a valid auth failed code.

Dean