httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: mod_rewrite/1440: Rewrite has problems with urls such as "http://foo/bar//goo.html" (double //'s)
Date Tue, 25 Nov 1997 07:31:14 GMT

On Mon, 24 Nov 1997, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> I am too getting a bit worried about all this. Filespace and URI space
> most certainly are not a bi-jection, should not be, and will most likely
> never be. Lets please, please be very carefull; when passing and handling
> URI's (and partial URI's) for cgi, include, rewrite, i.e. anywhere where
> it is not the final (injection) transformation to a file, it should be
> considered quite opaque. Including even the '#' and '?' :-)

Right, there was another PR recently complaining that a CGI can't pass
back # in a Location.  If this is the case then I consider it a bug.
There was a search engine CGI once which would insert anchors into a
document, so that when you clicked on a search result link, it could stuff
a #anchor into the URL and send you right to the first match.  There's got
to be other uses.

Dean