httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: odd behavior of Listen, Port, SERVER_PORT, and redirects
Date Thu, 20 Nov 1997 08:06:58 GMT

On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Nathan Neulinger wrote:

> I am not sure if this is the expected behavior, but I just put in a 1.3b2
> server, with no "Port" directive, and two Listen directives, port 2700 on
> two different addresses. (I believe the behavior has been in all the
> versions. I had encountered the second error before, and forgot about it
> till now.)
>
> When I issue a query against it to:
>
> 	http://blah:2700/dir
>
> it redirects to
>
> 	http://blah/dir/

Expected... Port in the main server has two meanings, one of them is to
decide what port the server "lives" on... as opposed to answers to.

> Seems to me that it should use whatever port the request came in on.

Yeah a lot of folks think this way ...

> -----------
>
> On a related note, if I issue a request to:
>
> 	http://server:2700/cgi-bin/anything
>
> SERVER_PORT is set to 80.
>
> This seems to me to be the same problem as above.

Yup.

> It is possible that the Port directive is required, but this is a tad
> counterintuitive, particularly if you have two listens on different ports.

Apache doesn't support a vhost which has multiple canonical names ...
there's no reason I can think of that it can't support these, it just
doesn't.

Dean