httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <>
Subject Re: Want to add file caching to Apache
Date Wed, 19 Nov 1997 21:54:45 GMT

On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Igor Tatarinov wrote:

> The main benefits are that
> + in 80% (hit rate) of cases we don't need to open, mmap (or copy), and close
> the file.
> + file system cache policy is not good (a large requested file may flush the
> entire cache)

I disagree with the latter claim.  It's true if you serialize requests
against the filesystem, but in reality small documents are being requested
all the time while a large document is being served.  So those small
documents are not going to be knocked out of the fs cache.  If the large
file is really busy then perhaps it needs to be in the cache anyhow, and
the webmaster will have to deal with the #1 hardware requirement of
webservers:  RAM.

Of course my claim is useless unless I back it up with data :)

View raw message