httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: aplogger
Date Mon, 03 Nov 1997 22:00:40 GMT

On Mon, 3 Nov 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Included, find aplogger.c, which doesn't have these problems.  It's only
> the beginning of a solution -- because a full solution requires the logger
> to be in its own process group.  Otherwise the killpg()s that apache does
> will send signals to all the logging processes.  But at any rate ...

Included find a patch which gives the logger its own process group, and
also chdir(server_root) before spawning.  This allows server_root relative
pathnames to be used, such as:

    TransferLog "| bin/aplogger logs/logger.pid >> logs/access_log"

I'm getting a "long lost child came home" while using this across a
USR1...  looks like a latent bug in my register_other_child api.  I'll fix
it later.  It seems to work well enough.

arctic.org is now using this for logging.  I figure I should, since I'm
advocating it ;)

Dean