httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory A Lundberg <lundb...@vr.net>
Subject Re: [Fwd: general/1420: M$ compiles and uses Apache as Personal Web Server]
Date Sun, 16 Nov 1997 14:11:09 GMT
On Sat, 15 Nov 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Marc Slemko wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 15 Nov 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:
> >
> > > Hmmm - anyone got any views on this?
> >
> > I think the submitter is probably crazy.  I can't look at it since I don't
> > have Windows here, but two million web servers have "Apache like"
> > commands.  "HEY, NCSA ripped off Apache!"  (well, ignoring the real
> > history...)
>
> Well, yeah, that certainly is the instant reaction. But if you are going
> to emulate NCSA, where do you start? And if you base it on MS code, why
> change the config?

Especially when the first version of the Personal Web Server came with
documentation explaining that it was a port of NCSA.  Actually, I believe
they said 'based upon' but it didn't look like they'd done much other than
get it to compile and run on such a lame .. uh .. environment  (I'm sorry,
I just can't call it an 'operating system').

The only interesting question is whether Microsoft adhered to the license
terms for NCSA when they ported it.  I remember asking myself that quite
some time ago but, since I've never seen the NCSA license terms, can't
say.  Even if they didn't, there's little that could be done about it.
Who can afford the lawyers it would take to press a license-infrigement
lawsuit against the company?

----

Gregory A Lundberg		Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              email: lundberg@vr.net [205.133.13.8]
Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA    voice: +1 (937) 299-7653