httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: dlopen/dlsym working
Date Sun, 09 Nov 1997 02:11:38 GMT
On Sat, 8 Nov 1997, Stanley Gambarin wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Nov 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:
>
> > > I don't particuarly care about that, but please don't call it
> > > mod_dll.c. Because... um... well, Unix doesn't have DLLs. I don't know
> > > what the proper acronym is, but I know it's not DLL. If it works, I'd
> > > perfer it just replaces mod_dld.c, unless that's an improper name, too
> > > (I have no idea what dld stands for, really, except that it's probably
> > > dynamic link... something).
> >
> > I've always assumed it stood for "dynamic ld" (as in the program "ld").
> >
> 	Actually, ld is the name of the linker executable (i don't
> know who came up with this first, but almost every Un*x system uses

Which brings up the question of what ld stands for... if I recall my
history correctly (and It's quote possible that ld was first written
before I was born), ld stands for link editor or something like
that. So I think names are pretty much meaningless here :)

-- Alexei Kosut <akosut@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>