httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Hmm... virtual host patents?
Date Fri, 07 Nov 1997 06:28:04 GMT
This has little to do with Apache, but I was wandering around the web,
and came across this choice remark at <http://www.chicagometro.usweb.com>:

  Because we know you are using a computer with a Mozilla/4.03 (Macintosh; U;
  PPC, Nav) browser, we built this site "on the fly" just for you
  using our patent pending VIRTUAL HOST! technology. Please ENTER OUR LOFT. We
  promise to make it a productive journey into maximizing the INTERNET
  for your company.

Maybe I should call them (1-888-8-THE-WEB) and ask a few questions,
like:

1. What the heck do they mean by "our patent pending VIRTUAL HOST!
   technology"?

2. How can they patent virtual host technology anyway, given that
   they're using a Netscape server. to do it. Shouldn't Netscape get
   something to say about that?

Or do they mean to say that they can patent a CGI script that tells me
what browser I'm using and call it a "virtual host"?

-- Alexei Kosut <akosut@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>