httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: pay attention now: old PRs to be cleaned up
Date Sat, 01 Nov 1997 23:36:46 GMT
On Sat, 1 Nov 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> I tend to lean towards /home/userid/ always being valid, but that's just a
> personal thing.  If I have multiple user filesystems I always set them up
> with symlinks from /home/userid.  I don't think fixing this for one
> directive is worth it, it needs to be fixed in general -- which means a
> path expansion api.

While /home/userid is nice, it doesn't work too well on a system with,
say, 30,000 users, all of whom need home directories. This is why
/home/u/s/userid style things were invented.

I think allowing ~userid expansion everywhere we allow filenames would
be a good thing. If we just added this to os_canonical_filename(),
would that be correct? ('course, it would mean that unix/os.c would
have to get a real os_canonical_filename() function)

We'd probably have to add os_canonical_filename() to some places that
problably should have it anyway (e.g. the AuthFile directives, like
the PR is about), but I can see this being a useful thing. Even if we
didn't change that, "Alias /foo ~akosut/bar" could work.

P.S. Some words of advice to anyone considering purchasing Riven: If
you'd like to get any sort of work done in the next few weeks,
don't. It will suck you in, will twist your mind to work for it, you
will spend days and nights clicking and swapping CDs. You will become
consumed by this so-called "game."

P.P.S. Buy it anyway. It's worth it.

-- Alexei Kosut <akosut@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>