httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: .conf confusion
Date Sat, 29 Nov 1997 21:11:48 GMT
On Fri, 28 Nov 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> The first is a statement of fact.  The init() phase isn't called before
> the config is parsed... in fact we're in need of a pre-config phase.  But
> that falls out of the API redesign I think -- the redesign where we
> (mostly) ditch the module structure and go for one hook which is called
> and the module must register itself for all the other phases.

Agreed. FWIW, over winter break (another two weeks), I plan to sit down
and write up a whole lot of words explaining exactly how I think the
Apache 2.0 module API should work (except for configuration;
configuration is someone else's problem). Hopefully that will spawn some
discussion and maybe even some code ;)

BTW, do the module names "apache" and "apachen" bother anyone else? Every
time I check out a new Apache tree, I always end up with the wrong one.
Methinks we should rename them "apache1.2" and "apache1.3". That way,
there is no "apache" to get confused about, and we can make an "apache2.0"
whenever we want to.