httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@elect6.jrc.it>
Subject Re: MS considering moving IIS into NT kernel
Date Tue, 25 Nov 1997 08:35:04 GMT
On Mon, 24 Nov 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Hey! I've had this great idea - why not run everything in the kernel?
> All that nasty context switching is such a waste of time. And
> pre-emptive multitasking, I mean, who really needs that? Only losers who
> can't write decent co-operative multitasking software. So that'll save

Ha! Welcome back to the world of Acorn Computing.. dazling fast unser
interfaces, and iconbar 10 years ago, Risc processors 11 years ago. Fancy
writing for Arthur 1.20 or shall we go for RiscOS 3.1.. ? That Strong Arm
just Rules !

> some more of that nasty switching. Oh yeah, and seperate address spaces
> - they're a real pain - we could make the switches 10 times faster
> without those. Cool! Now, what should it be called? I know! MS-DOS!

Meeeep! Wrong again.. be british, buy british and go for a creamt BBC !

> Cheers,
>
> Ben.
>
> --
> Ben Laurie            |Phone: +44 (181) 735 0686|Apache Group member
> Freelance Consultant  |Fax:   +44 (181) 735 0689|http://www.apache.org
> and Technical Director|Email: ben@algroup.co.uk |Apache-SSL author
> A.L. Digital Ltd,     |http://www.algroup.co.uk/Apache-SSL
> London, England.      |"Apache: TDG" http://www.ora.com/catalog/apache

http://cils.ceo.org                         http://enrm.ceo.org
dirkx@technologist.com                     Dirk.vanGulik@jrc.it
+39 332 78 0014       +39 332 78 9549       fax +39 332 78 9185
ISEI/ESBA;                     The Center For Earth Observation
Joint Research Centre of the European Communities, Ispra, Italy