httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: 2.0: process model design
Date Sun, 23 Nov 1997 03:15:43 GMT
On Sat, 22 Nov 1997, Igor Tatarinov wrote:

> > That being said, I think the code should be made more C++-friendly. By
> > that I mean it should compile with a C++ compiler, which it does not now
> > (namespace problems). The header files should contain extern "C"
> > declarations and the like, etc... And it is my plan that, when I finally
> > get around to writing up my spec for the Apache 2.0 module API, it will be
> > C++-saavy, so that you can write modules in C++, and pretend you are
> > dealing with objects (though you aren't, really).
>
> I am not sure it's really worth it. Those who want to modify Apache
> will probably use a C compiler anyway. Other users can download
> binaries.

Actually, given my ideas for the Apache 2.0 module API (go back and read
the  Apache mail archives; http://dev.apache.org/mail/), C++ support isn't
that tough. In fact, it's not all that bad now. The part of the module API
that deals with the request is very nearly OO. request_rec, server_rec,
connection_rec, BUFF and the like behave very much like objects would.

*shrug*