httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@elect6.jrc.it>
Subject Re: [Fwd: general/1420: M$ compiles and uses Apache as Personal Web Server]
Date Mon, 17 Nov 1997 08:35:00 GMT
On Sat, 15 Nov 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Marc Slemko wrote:
> > On Sat, 15 Nov 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:
> >
> > I think the submitter is probably crazy.  I can't look at it since I don't
> > have Windows here, but two million web servers have "Apache like"
> > commands.  "HEY, NCSA ripped off Apache!"  (well, ignoring the real
> > history...)
>
> Well, yeah, that certainly is the instant reaction. But if you are going
> to emulate NCSA, where do you start? And if you base it on MS code, why
> change the config?

:-) Sure I mean, does not all which is good come from redmond. But
seriously I could not help noticing that some of the interesting bugs
surrounding errors in the ErrorDocument, (which are not in NCSA) but
where in apache once; are also in the M$ clone. Furhtermore I am sure M$
has rewritten NCSA licence to make sure it fitted like a glove.

Dw.