httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: config/1479: <IfModule> should log an INFO message
Date Tue, 25 Nov 1997 21:41:20 GMT
On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> >From the fingers of Marc Slemko flowed the following:
> >
> >On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> >
> >>     I entered this PR (1479) as a companion to #1480, which was in
> >>     response to a PR about 'I uncommented ProxyFoo and got "invalid
> >>     command"'.
> >
> >But you are missing the point that this group of changes won't fix that.
> >What you are doing is trading "that command isn't available; oops, better
> >compile in the module" for "let's remove the error we give to the user,
> >hide what we are doing, then introduce extra log messages to try to do the
> >same thing."
>
>     Wrong-o.  *You're* missing the point: the current error message
>     doesn't give a clew that there's a module missing.  All it says is
>     that line thus-and-such is frotzed somehow.  I'm trying to add a way
>     to say why the server doesn't like the line, and let the server
>     continue minus the functionality.  Your attitude seems to be more
>     along the lines of, "let the user figure it out; if he can't, he's
>     stupid."
>
>     You want to pre-register all directives and the modules that define
>     them so the parse can be more specific?  *That's* the wrong answer.

If you have an objection with the current error message, then propose a
chang.  eg. "unable to parse line xxxx, invalid directive or module not
compiled in".

Adding IfModules everywhere doesn't really help, it clutters the logs when
people use IfModule for the real reason it is intended, and it makes it
even more obscure for people who don't check the error log or don't log
information at that level; before they got an error.  Now they would get
nothing.