httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: config/1479: <IfModule> should log an INFO message
Date Tue, 25 Nov 1997 21:28:25 GMT
On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> >From the fingers of Marc Slemko flowed the following:
> >
> >On 25 Nov 1997, Ken A L Coar wrote:
> >
> >> <IfModule> decisions made during config parsing should include an
> >> INFO-level message in the log, at least if the block is being skipped
> >> because the module isn't loaded.
> >
> >Erm... why?  Just because we have log levels is no reason to go crazy and
> >start logging messages for every little thing.  Many servers use IfModule
> >for a reason: because they have different server binaries using the same
> >config file.  I'm not sure it makes sense to fill logs with fluff.
>
>     If anyone is running with INFO level turned on, one message per
>     <IfModule not-loaded-module> per config parse hardly seems like
>     it will overload the log file.
>
>     I entered this PR (1479) as a companion to #1480, which was in
>     response to a PR about 'I uncommented ProxyFoo and got "invalid
>     command"'.

But you are missing the point that this group of changes won't fix that.
What you are doing is trading "that command isn't available; oops, better
compile in the module" for "let's remove the error we give to the user,
hide what we are doing, then introduce extra log messages to try to do the
same thing."

>     So maybe it should be logged at DEBUG level.. but I like INFO
>     better.  I think it's reasonable for the server to give *some*
>     indication that there were some directives it didn't process.

The problem is that you are needlessly complicating the config files and
introducing unnecessary confusion about why things aren't being processed,
then trying to figure out some way to reduce that confusion.  If you don't
introduce it in the first place, there is no need to remove it.