httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: Configuration in kits
Date Tue, 25 Nov 1997 19:14:02 GMT
On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> >From the fingers of Marc Slemko flowed the following:
> >
> >On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> >
> >>     Step 6 in how-to-release says:
> >>
> >>      6. Create src/Configuration file:
> >>           $ cp src/Configuration.tmpl src/Configuration
> >>
> >>     I would like to see this changed as follows:
> >>
> >>     o For a source-only kit, I think this step should be omitted
> >>       entirely.  src/INSTALL instructs the user to do this and then edit
> >>       Configuration, so it seems semi-pointless for us to do it.
> >
> >Erm... no it isn't.  How many zillion reports do you think we will have
> >saying "but Configure won't run!" if we start doing that?
>
>     And how many have we already gotten because the default settings
>     (like OPTIM) were wrong for the destination system?  Lots.  So
>     change Configure's 'Can't see or read "Configuration"' to also say
>     "copy Configuration.tmp to Configuration and edit it for your
>     platform as described in INSTALL."  That should be done anyway.

If someone doesn't edit Configuration properly as is, they won't do it
properly if we just say "copy Configuration.tmpl to Configuration and edit
it".

I really don't see this as a solution to a problem that exists.

> >>     o For a binary kit (containing an httpd executable built for a
> >>       specific platform), I think the src/Configuration file should be
> >>       the one that was used to build the binary - in other words, the
> >>       user should be able to just "make clean; make" and get a binary
> >>       just like the one supplied.
> >
> >That has normally been done anyway and is in the instructions for binary
> >releases.
>
>     It's certainly documented there, but I definitely recall bringing
>     this issue up before and getting mixed responses.

I have got mixed responses from the mailing list about waking up too.
All sorts of odd people here saying lots of things.  <g>