httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: mod_rewrite/1440: Rewrite has problems with urls such as
Date Sun, 23 Nov 1997 23:19:01 GMT
On Sun, 23 Nov 1997, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> What does the RFCs say? Is an URL with double slashes equal to the one with
> only one slashes? When yes, then - ok - we should make sure even the URL
> rewriting engine automatically does the cleanup. If not, we should not do it.

They are not equal, but the problem is that Apache treats them as equal
later on in the processing.  It is not good when you can slighly modify a
URL and use that to bypass access controls.  With the current mod_rewrite
and Apache interactions, you can do this.

This is a problem.  It is not necessarily mod_rewrite's fault, but it is a
problem.