httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: Possible suggested schedule for 1.3b3
Date Mon, 17 Nov 1997 03:11:34 GMT
On Sun, 16 Nov 1997, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

>     This is a valid point, I think - although it didn't work for 1.3b2;
>     no-one noticed the CVS directories got included.  And if there's a

As I said: whenever it isn't followed, it gets screwed up.  This
policy wasn't followed for 1.3b2.  So no one had a chance to notice.

>     problem with the tarball after announcement, well, we do what lots
>     of other groups do: create a corrected tarball and post a message
>     about it to the usual places.  The code is what matters, not the
>     kit.  The content we *need* to be good, the delivery mechanism we
>     just *want* to be good.

Giving the tarball a day before release has found problems in
the past before it was spread all around and we had to go through
another announcement, etc.   Not doing that has resulted in problems
numerous times.

This has been gone over half a dozen times in the past months.  Each
time, generally after something is messed up, there appeared
to be agreement that having a day after the tarball is rolled before
release is good.  However, no one else seems to remember that they
agreed with the idea so I guess perhaps everyone has changed
their mind.