httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: [STATUS] 1.3b3-dev Sun Nov 16 10:07:28 EST 1997
Date Sun, 16 Nov 1997 21:35:15 GMT
On Sun, 16 Nov 1997, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Every release has assumed that people have been testing it before
> it's been officially released and that the release only happens
> when it's the group's opinion that it's ready for a release.
>
> If you don't think it's ready, then that's a -1 on rolling the beta.

Erm... no.  Every release for the past while, the tarball has been
made then tested for a day or two before release.  Every time someone
has skipped that step, it has ended up being screwed up and we
had to quickly pull it and roll a new beta.  No matter how much
you test before release, not giving a day or two for testing
the final tarball just doesn't make sense.

> If you're talking about the UNIX/Win32 coordination of stuff, what I
> don't want is:
>
>    1. A 1.3b3 tarball to be around without it being announced

That has always happened, just not at http://www.apache.org/dist but
rather on dev.apache.org.