httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: Can http/1.1 client use POST and chunked encoding to provide information to Apache1.2.1? (fwd)
Date Fri, 14 Nov 1997 20:48:16 GMT
On Fri, 14 Nov 1997, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> >I responded explaining the difficulty (ie. you either have to
> >pass it to the CGI chunked, which is a dumb way of doing things
> >and which 99% of CGIs won't understand or you have to buffer the
> >whole thing and unchunk before sending to the client), but
> >how is this supposed to work?
>
> CGI/1.1 is just one possible interface.  There is no reason why smarter
> interfaces can't be defined with new modules.
>
> Passing the script the chunked input allows the script to determine
> its own resource requirements rather than have them determined by
> the server core.  Whether that's a good thing or bad thing is a
> question, but one that depends on who wrote the script.  Perhaps we
> need a mod_cgi_file_chunked and mod_cgi_pass_chunked?

I'm just having trouble reconciling this with:

   All HTTP/1.1 applications that receive entities MUST accept the
   "chunked" transfer coding (section 3.6), thus allowing this mechanism
   to be used for messages when the message length cannot be determined
   in advance.

So this means they must accept them sometimes?

I'm thinking that perhaps short term we should add a directive to
mod_cgi that specifies if chunked data sent to the server should
be rejected or passed along chunked.