httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Can http/1.1 client use POST and chunked encoding to provide information to Apache1.2.1? (fwd)
Date Fri, 14 Nov 1997 00:27:18 GMT
I responded explaining the difficulty (ie. you either have to
pass it to the CGI chunked, which is a dumb way of doing things
and which 99% of CGIs won't understand or you have to buffer the
whole thing and unchunk before sending to the client), but
how is this supposed to work?

I mean, CGI exists.  It sucks, but it is used.  If any clients want
to implement chunked encoding for sending to servers, they
have tough luck.  What are other servers doing?  Is it worth
trying to buffer small bodys?  Can anyone refer me to archives
of any list from where this was discussed, because it must have
been?

Should we return 501 instead of 411?

   All HTTP/1.1 applications MUST be able to receive and decode the
   "chunked" transfer coding, and MUST ignore transfer coding extensions
   they do not understand. A server which receives an entity-body with a
   transfer-coding it does not understand SHOULD return 501
   (Unimplemented), and close the connection. A server MUST NOT send
   transfer-codings to an HTTP/1.0 client.