httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Subject Re: mod_rewrite/1440: Rewrite has problems with urls such as "http://foo/bar//goo.html" (double //'s)
Date Mon, 24 Nov 1997 06:09:18 GMT
>LocationMatch/Location do collapse double slashes, but I consider this to
>be a bug.  They are documented to work in the URI space, not in the
>filespace.

Yep, that's a bug.  Dean's analysis matches what I would have said.

>RFC1738, RFC1808, and Roy's new draft appear silent on the issue.

"/" never equals "//".  The only reason we collapse them for matches
against Directory sections is security within the filesystem mapping.
If the string is modified, the result should be a redirect or rejection.
A "//" is meaningful for all resource namespaces not aligned with the
filesystem, and that's the case for what mod_rewrite is doing.

....Roy