httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Subject Re: Can http/1.1 client use POST and chunked encoding to provide information to Apache1.2.1? (fwd)
Date Fri, 14 Nov 1997 20:59:13 GMT
>I'm just having trouble reconciling this with:
>
>   All HTTP/1.1 applications that receive entities MUST accept the
>   "chunked" transfer coding (section 3.6), thus allowing this mechanism
>   to be used for messages when the message length cannot be determined
>   in advance.
>
>So this means they must accept them sometimes?

No, immediately above that sentence it says:

   If a request contains a message-body and a Content-Length is not given,
   the server SHOULD respond with 400 (bad request) if it cannot
   determine the length of the message, or with 411 (length required) if
   it wishes to insist on receiving a valid Content-Length.

which is exactly what we are doing.  Granted, it would be *better* if
we moved the input to a file and then gave the file as input to the
CGI script, but nobody volunteered to do that.

>I'm thinking that perhaps short term we should add a directive to
>mod_cgi that specifies if chunked data sent to the server should
>be rejected or passed along chunked.

There are a lot of things we need to fix in CGI.  I'd rather have a
separate module, with its own equivalent to ScriptAlias and the other
things that indicate cgi-ness.  In any case, I doubt it will get done
til 2.0, when we have a mechanism for the script config to register
the methods it is willing to handle along with the namespace(s).

Mind you, I'd still probably +1 anything that makes mod_cgi work better.

....Roy