httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: MS considering moving IIS into NT kernel
Date Mon, 24 Nov 1997 21:31:59 GMT
Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

> >From PC Week's web site
> (http://www.zdnet.com/pcweek/news/1124/24nt5.html):
>
> In addition, Microsoft is looking for ways to increase NT 5.0's
> performance, including moving more code into kernel mode, according to
> other Microsoft Solution Providers. Microsoft has discussed moving IIS
> into the kernel, which definitely would increase speed, but at the
> expense of stability, the providers said.

Hey! I've had this great idea - why not run everything in the kernel?
All that nasty context switching is such a waste of time. And
pre-emptive multitasking, I mean, who really needs that? Only losers who
can't write decent co-operative multitasking software. So that'll save
some more of that nasty switching. Oh yeah, and seperate address spaces
- they're a real pain - we could make the switches 10 times faster
without those. Cool! Now, what should it be called? I know! MS-DOS!

Cheers,

Ben.