httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Igor Tatarinov <tatar...@prairie.NoDak.edu>
Subject Re: 2.0: process model design
Date Sun, 23 Nov 1997 02:58:34 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Portability wouldn't be nicer.  We currently have platforms that don't use
> gcc.  We also have to deal with g++ versus microsoft c++ versus cfront
> issues.
>
> What in my process-model screams "C++"?  Nothing looks like it to me.  I
> can see C++ arguments in relation to other details of the API though...
> like modules.
>
> Dean

I meant general advantages of the OO approach. The current http_main.c
for example contains probably about 100 functions which makes it tough
to even look thru it (and it has to be modified!). If separate entitie
(scoreboard, connection, thread, etc) were implemented as classes, all
interfaces and relations between pieces of code would be clearer. Of
course, the design stage becomes harder.

BTW, there is a freeware C++ library called ACE which basically provides
nice OO-style wrappers for many UNIX/NT mechanisms. I haven't tried it
myself but it seems pretty good.

igor