httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Igor Tatarinov <tatar...@prairie.NoDak.edu>
Subject Re: Want to add file caching to Apache
Date Thu, 20 Nov 1997 22:21:58 GMT
Rob Hartill wrote:

> serving static content is pretty trivial and has almost no overhead
> on reasonable hardware.
>
> I've got a 586 Pentium 166mhz doing >20 static file requests per second
> with 90% idle cpu and a load of ~0.2 . It also acts as a mailing list
> server and nameserver when it gets bored.
>
> I'm not knocking the idea of caching but do wonder if it's a solution
> to a relatively unimportant problem. Are there better bottlenecks to
> take a shot at widening ?

A related question: is it possible to cache cgi script output?
I've heard that SQUID guys check for ? in the file name to find out
if the file was produced by a cgi script. Of course, they also check
the response header but it's not always setup correctly. Anyways,
sometimes they may cache cgi scripts.

It is probably impossible to cache POST reponses but with GETs there
should be no problem.

igor