httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: some Win32 thoughts
Date Sun, 16 Nov 1997 21:51:34 GMT
Alexei Kosut wrote:

> A few random thoughts on the current organization of the Win32 source:
>
> I still don't like the whole dummy.c/main-in-a-DLL thing. For one thing,
> it precludes the inclusion of ApacheCore.dll in some other program. A few
> months ago, we discussed renaming the Win32 main() function to
> apache_main() or something, and changing dummy.c to os/win32/main.c, which
> just called apache_main(). But it was never done. It still makes a lot of
> sense to me; anyone else?

I think it is cute that you can have main() in a DLL, so I'll experience
a twinge of regret if we move it, but apart from that, I agree, it is a
really stupid thing to do.

> Also; http_main.c still confuses the heck out of me. There are two copies
> of a fair number of things. I wonder how much trouble it would be to split
> the file along the MULTITHREAD #ifdef that spans most of the file, and
> create a seperate http_main_mt.c file with the multithreaded/Win32 stuff.

I'd rather see the two copies merged. Perhaps someone with a big screen
and some spare hours would like to try?

Hmmm ... actually, way back when, there was a tool that would do a
_partial_ preprocess. Run that twice and then diff 'em, then merge 'em
back again. Wonder what it was called?

>    Stanford University, Class of 2001
                                   ^^^^ cool!
Cheers,