httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <>
Subject Re: virtual domains using mod_rewrite
Date Wed, 19 Nov 1997 07:32:30 GMT
At 04:48 PM 11/18/97 -0700, Marc Slemko wrote:
>Has anyone done any work on trying to make something like the below work
>completely?  This would be very cool to be able to do fully.  Then you can
>implement a hostname for each user without using virtualhosts.  Hey, you
>can even use only one IP. ==,
> ==, etc.  Only one A record needed
>for all of them.  No mess, no changes required when you add users.

You could even do this (and what the original poster was trying to do)
without mod_rewrite:  if all you care about is handling the ->

case and not the ->

case, then just make your root-level index.cgi a script which returns an
HTTP redirect based on the contents of the Host: header, and providing a
reasonable index in the absence of that header.  If it's not an algorithmic
mapping, do a lookup in a DBM file or something.

That's what I recommended just now to the poster of the message which
started this thread when I found out all he wanted to do was map ->

"it's a big world, with lots of records to play." - sig

View raw message