httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Brian Havard" <bri...@kheldar.apana.org.au>
Subject Re: 2.0: process model design
Date Sun, 23 Nov 1997 04:46:43 GMT
On Sat, 22 Nov 1997 19:12:03 -0800 (PST), Alexei Kosut wrote:

>On Sun, 23 Nov 1997, Brian Havard wrote:
>
>> Why not ditch MSC and use gcc for the Win32 port? I would think it would have
>> been much easier in the first place, more like the OS/2 port. See
>> http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/ if you don't know about it.

[...]

> "The Cygwin32 API library found in the winsup subdirectory of the source
>  code is now also covered by the GNU GPL. Since by
>  default all executables link against this library, programs compiled by
>  the beta 17 tools will also have to be free software distributed
>  under the GPL with source code available to all."

Eeek, I hadn't spotted that one. That makes the Cygwin gcc useless to a lot
of people. OK, I withdraw the suggestion :(

Fortunately the author of the EMX package (Eberhard Mattes) wasn't so short
sighted. While the EMX package is GPL he explicitly excludes the runtime
library from it:

"The emx libraries are not distributed under the GPL.  Linking an
application with the emx libraries does not cause the executable to be
covered by the GNU General Public License. "  (From COPYING.EMX)