httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kraemer <Martin.Krae...@mch.sni.de>
Subject Re: Want to add file caching to Apache
Date Wed, 19 Nov 1997 21:39:03 GMT
On Wed, Nov 19, 1997 at 03:13:01PM -0600, Igor Tatarinov wrote:
> ... But I would like to get more opinions on it. So
> please let me know what you think.

*   It would be desirable to add HTTP/1.1 cache control mechanisms for
    expiration and verification into such a cache. That would of course
    require LRU use and cache file expiration and reusing "cache holes".

*   The OS would impose a slightly higher "penalty" to cache items at the
    end of the cache file, since the double indirect / triple indirect
    block lookup of traditional *nix systems needs a higher overhead
    there.

*   In theory, and with an mostly-in-memory hash lookup cache, this would
    of course yield an impressive performance gain for documents (when
    the expiration needs not be checked against an upstream proxy),
    and no copying has to be done at all either, the document
    can be served right out of the mmaped cache file.

*   This could eventually replace the (rather slow) mod_proxy cache.

    Martin