httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: virtual domains using mod_rewrite
Date Wed, 19 Nov 1997 05:14:41 GMT
On Tue, Nov 18, 1997 at 04:48:23PM -0700, Marc Slemko wrote:
> Has anyone done any work on trying to make something like the below work
> completely?  This would be very cool to be able to do fully.  Then you can
> implement a hostname for each user without using virtualhosts.  Hey, you
> can even use only one IP.  marcs.wild.znep.com == alive.znep.com/~marcs,
> ann.wild.znep.com == alive.znep.com/~ann, etc.  Only one A record needed
> for all of them.  No mess, no changes required when you add users.

If y'all are friendly with the MindSpring folks, ask them. They're
running Apache 1.2.1 and they provide this feature.
username.home.mindspring.com is a cname for www.mindspring.com. When
it's requested, the server sends back www.mindspring.com/~username/.
It's cool enough to make me consider moving my web stuff there.

"Lawyers are the first refuge of the incompetent." - Aaron Allston