httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Hudson <...@cryptsoft.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apachen/src/os/win32 os.h util_win32.c
Date Sun, 16 Nov 1997 23:28:42 GMT
According to Ben Laurie:
> > Has it been decided that any Win32 compiler which will be used will
> > need to support C++ style comments?  Will any Win32 compiler that
> > may be used support them?
> I'm not absolutely certain, but I'd be very surprised if any Win32
> compiler that will compile this code couldn't handle them. But if you
> really care, feel free to change it.
> BTW, I thought // comments were now ANSI C?

    Common misconception ... bought about by most C++ compilers supporting
C++ style comments when compiling straight C code. BTW gcc has a switch to
enable supporting // comments too.

    Personally I think that mixing C++ things in straight C code is a
silly thing to do and introducing C++ things into a code base that is
meant to be straight C is not a good idea.

    I've got a perl script that mostly translates // comments into /* xxx */
blocks which I've used to sanitise code from Microsoft weenies that needed
to be made cross-platform in a past life. It is ugly but let me know if
you want it ...

Tim.