httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kraemer <Martin.Krae...@mch.sni.de>
Subject Re: before 1.3b3...
Date Thu, 13 Nov 1997 15:06:36 GMT
On Thu, Nov 13, 1997 at 07:43:50AM -0700, Marc Slemko wrote:
> I was thinking that since the patch uses strtoul, there must be some
> reason; if that is the case, you can't just change it.

Since I was the author of the locations where strtoul() is used, maybe I
should explain:

No, the reason for strtoul() use was not that the numbers should not
overflow at the top end, but to document that the input is supposed to
be _positive_ (i.e., an IP addr like -123.-45.-67.-89 is _not_ regarded
to be valid input). Both atoi() and strtol() are supposed to accept such
an input and deliver the results (-123 etc.). Strtoul() IMO should
not accept negative numbers as valid (though it does on Linux).

The idea really was to document the intention.

However, when strtoul() is not available, and the extra (intended) input
check is not required because the input is valid anyway, then strtol()
makes a perfect replacement.

    Martin