httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "David D'Antonio" <...@individual.com>
Subject RE: MS considering moving IIS into NT kernel
Date Mon, 24 Nov 1997 21:40:35 GMT
On Monday, November 24, 1997 4:32 PM, Ben Laurie
[SMTP:ben@algroup.co.uk] wrote:

[snip]

> Hey! I've had this great idea - why not run everything in the
> kernel?
> All that nasty context switching is such a waste of time. And
> pre-emptive multitasking, I mean, who really needs that? Only
> losers who
> can't write decent co-operative multitasking software. So
> that'll save
> some more of that nasty switching. Oh yeah, and seperate
> address spaces
> - they're a real pain - we could make the switches 10 times
> faster
> without those. Cool! Now, what should it be called? I know!
MS-
> DOS!

Hell, punt that slow, boring context switching entirely. After
all,
people only really *do* one thing at a time. So they obviously
don't
need their computers to do more than that...

> Ben Laurie            |Phone: +44 (181) 735 0686|Apache Group
member

To me, MS finally admitted how "stable" their software is when
they
put an "re-install" button on the Office 97 setup program. It
*just*
re-installs everything you installed last time, in case anything
got
corrupted. Say by one of those cool new fast kernel thingies,
I'll
bet..

DDA

--
David D'Antonio CNE - dda@nospam.ziplink.net
 Some they do and some they don't and some ya just can't tell