httpd-dev mailing list archives

From C...@PROCESS.COM (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Subject Re: config/1479: <IfModule> should log an INFO message
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
>From the fingers of Marc Slemko flowed the following:
>
>On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>
>>     I entered this PR (1479) as a companion to #1480, which was in
>>     response to a PR about 'I uncommented ProxyFoo and got "invalid
>>     command"'.
>
>But you are missing the point that this group of changes won't fix that.
>What you are doing is trading "that command isn't available; oops, better
>compile in the module" for "let's remove the error we give to the user,
>hide what we are doing, then introduce extra log messages to try to do the
>same thing."

    Wrong-o.  *You're* missing the point: the current error message
    doesn't give a clew that there's a module missing.  All it says is
    that line thus-and-such is frotzed somehow.  I'm trying to add a way
    to say why the server doesn't like the line, and let the server
    continue minus the functionality.  Your attitude seems to be more
    along the lines of, "let the user figure it out; if he can't, he's
    stupid."

    You want to pre-register all directives and the modules that define
    them so the parse can be more specific?  *That's* the wrong answer.

    We already catch grief about the unfriendliness (not my word nor my
    opinion) of our configuration interface.

    #ken    P-|}