httpd-dev mailing list archives

From C...@PROCESS.COM (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Subject Re: config/1479: <IfModule> should log an INFO message
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
>From the fingers of Marc Slemko flowed the following:
>
>On 25 Nov 1997, Ken A L Coar wrote:
>
>> <IfModule> decisions made during config parsing should include an
>> INFO-level message in the log, at least if the block is being skipped
>> because the module isn't loaded.
>
>Erm... why?  Just because we have log levels is no reason to go crazy and
>start logging messages for every little thing.  Many servers use IfModule
>for a reason: because they have different server binaries using the same
>config file.  I'm not sure it makes sense to fill logs with fluff.

    If anyone is running with INFO level turned on, one message per
    <IfModule not-loaded-module> per config parse hardly seems like
    it will overload the log file.

    I entered this PR (1479) as a companion to #1480, which was in
    response to a PR about 'I uncommented ProxyFoo and got "invalid
    command"'.

    So maybe it should be logged at DEBUG level.. but I like INFO
    better.  I think it's reasonable for the server to give *some*
    indication that there were some directives it didn't process.

    #ken    p-|}