httpd-dev mailing list archives

From C...@PROCESS.COM (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Subject Configuration in kits
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
    PR#1468 reminds me of something I want to bring up for disucssion:
    the presence of Configuration in kits.

    Step 6 in how-to-release says:

     6. Create src/Configuration file:
          $ cp src/Configuration.tmpl src/Configuration

    I would like to see this changed as follows:

    o For a source-only kit, I think this step should be omitted
      entirely.  src/INSTALL instructs the user to do this and then edit
      Configuration, so it seems semi-pointless for us to do it.
    o For a binary kit (containing an httpd executable built for a
      specific platform), I think the src/Configuration file should be
      the one that was used to build the binary - in other words, the
      user should be able to just "make clean; make" and get a binary
      just like the one supplied.

    I think the latter is particularly important given that different
    people build binaries for the various platforms with differing
    module lists enabled.

    #ken    P-)}