httpd-dev mailing list archives

From C...@PROCESS.COM (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Subject Re: [STATUS] 1.3b4-dev Sat Nov 22 18:26:26 EST 1997
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
>From the fingers of Randy Terbush flowed the following:
>
>> Open issues:
>>
>>     * Conditional logging and aplogger
>> 	Dean broke piped logging, -DNO_OTHER_CHILD to disable the reliable
>> 	stuff if you depend on piped logging.  I figure nobody must, since
>> 	we haven't seen a bug report and it'd show up easily under moderate
>> 	load. Brian thinks Cond. logging is taking us in an opposite
>> 	direction from where we should be going.
>
>I'm about to pick this up and give it a go. Can any of you comment
>again on your position with this? Seems that it is relatively easy
>to make the conditional (assuming loglevels) model work with an external
>logging process.

    Erm, loglevels are for errors, not accesses.  My position on
    conditional logging is that I think it *should* be in the server.
    The RefererIgnore directive already does it, though to a limited
    degree and in a deprecated module.  I think it should be expanded to
    allow Boolean selection of which requests to log based upon
    envariables set.

    I strongly believe that unwanted entries should never be logged,
    rather than logged and then thrown away.

    #ken    P-)}