httpd-dev mailing list archives

From C...@PROCESS.COM (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Subject RE: expires header in bugdb
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
>From the fingers of Marc Slemko flowed the following:
>
>Why was this added?  Someone said something about their client reloading
>the page each time they scrolled(!?!?)

    No, each time he hit "back" or resized the window.

>Using Navigator3, it was fine for me before and when I wanted an update I
>just reloaded it now.  Now, when I have the index up, it keeps reloading
>it because it expires.  eg. if I load the index, look at a PR, go away for
>30 minutes, go back to the index, it reloads it.  I find that quite
>annoying.

    Dirk's browser was reloading it any time he changed the geometry of
    his screen or went from a PR display "back" to the index.  Since
    it's a CGI, it's almost certainly being marked as "no-cache", so this
    behaviour on the part of his browser would be marginally defensible.

    I doubt that it's as annoying to you as having to reload the entire
    bloody thing over in Italy under slightly more frequent circumstances.
    Whatever.  I haven't found any way to determine a last-modified date
    for the whole GNATS database.  If there is one, it might make things
    a wee bit better to use a Last-Modified header field instead.  On
    the other hand, maybe not - because then the pages you were looking
    at might be marked modified even if it was an unrelated piece of the
    db that got modified.

    I'm open to suggestions, but I strongly suspect that your pain now
    is considerably less than Dirk's was before the change.  I also
    think it's appropriate for people with high bandwidth (e.g., in the
    U.S) to make some minor sacrifices for those who aren't as close to
    the source.

    #ken    P-)}