httpd-dev mailing list archives

From C...@PROCESS.COM (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Subject Re: Options & SSIs
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
>From the fingers of Marc Slemko flowed the following:
>
>I don't see any need for special code to allow enabling exec cgi without
>exec cmd.  exec cgi is legacy.  Use include virtual instead.  It is
>supposed to work in both Includes and IncludesNoExec, however right now it
>only works for ScriptAliased directories.  I think that should be fixed
>(there is a PR on it somewhere), but once it is I see no reason for adding
>code to play with exec cgi.

    I still don't like "IncludesNoExec" as an option keyword (or
    functionality, for that matter); it's like saying, "This vehicle has
    the following options: wheels, brakes, no airbag, windows, ..."

    I *do* use include virtual instead of exec cgi.  But don't tell me,
    tell the hundreds of thousands of Apache users out there.  I trust
    CGIs [marginally] more than I do arbitrary shell scripts, and it
    bothers me that the config language treats them as requiring more
    caution.  AND as a subset of shell-command.

    If exec cgi is legacy, then let's either take the plunge and
    document it as deprecated and possibly to be removed in the future,
    or else support it correctly.

>Where do you get the idea that ExecCGI allows "exec cgi"?

    From the documentation, testing, and experimentation.

    #ken    P-)}