httpd-dev mailing list archives

From C...@PROCESS.COM (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Subject Aha! The conditional logging beast rears its head again
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
    There was a discussion a while ago (July/August, I think) about
    adding conditionalisation to mod_log_config, so the configuration
    could direct which requests should be logged and which not (a la
    mod_log_referer).  The discussion was happening just when 1.3
    feature-freeze was starting to settle in.  The basic disagreement,
    as I remember, was that some people (those with big systems and big
    disks, I think) felt it's more appropriate for such filtering to be
    an after-process, or done by some inline filter (now that reliable
    piped logs are here).  Personally, I still prefer to have it in the
    server itself and not waste the cycles nor bytes trying to winnow
    through a "log-of-everything" file.  It's less of an issue with a
    piped filter, but I'd *still* prefer to see it in the server -
    no-one says people *have* to use it.

    PR #1351 is asking for this, so be warned - I may open the
    discussion once again.. ;->

    #ken    P-)}