httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Lars Eilebrecht <Lars.Eilebre...@unix-ag.org>
Subject Re: Draft: vhosts-in-depth and vhost-examples
Date Fri, 31 Oct 1997 13:37:35 GMT
According to Martin Kraemer:

> >   IP-based vhosts only

> >        Server configuration:

> >     Port 80
>
>        Listen 80     <------- Add "Listen" to every "Port"?

If we only deal with Port 80 we don't need an explicit Listen directive
(IMHO).

> >      The main server can never catch a request, because all IP address
> >      of our machine are in use for IP-based virtual hosts.
>
>  How about "localhost"? It will be served by the supposedly unreachable
>  main server.

Ah, I forgot about localhost... but I think most servers are rarely access
as localhost. ,-)

>  Shouldn't the examples include _default_s or at least a pointer to it?

You mean adding a _default_ vhost to very example? Well, I intentionally
added a paragraph about _default_ vhosts with example sections that can
be used in one of the other examples if they are need... and only when
they are need. If have a server with one IP and use it for name-based
vhosts (and also specify "NameVirtualHost 127.0.0.1 :-)) then a _default_
vhost (or the main server) never serves a request.

[...]
>  Is it really true that Port based vhosts don't need a NameVirtualHost?
>  That was always unclear to me.

Ask Dean ;-)
My tests showed that it work without NameVirtualHost...

[...]
>  I never tried this, but from looking at the code it appears to me that
>  this should read "ServerPath /abc/def"

Yep, that's true.

ciao...
--
Lars Eilebrecht                     - Out of coffee--error. Programmer halted.
sfx@unix-ag.org