httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@lerdorf.on.ca>
Subject Module install steps
Date Sat, 25 Oct 1997 21:09:12 GMT
I current have the PHP3-Apache1.3 module installation down to the
following steps:

---

>From the PHP3 source dir:

 ./configure --with-apache=/usr/local/src/apache --with-mysql=/usr/local
 make install

>From the Apache src dir:

 edit Configuration file and add following line to the end:

   AddModule modules/extra/mod_php3.o

 ./Configure
 make

 edit your srm.conf file and add the line:

   AddType application/x-httpd-php3 .phtml

---

That's a whole lot better than all the crap you had to do for PHP2.  I'd
like to cut it even further though.  Would it be an idea to have Configure
check modules/extra for the presence of any modules and automatically add
these without having to be explicitly told to do so in the Configuration
file?  I mean, if people go and put a module in there, chances are they
want it compiled in.

The second hand-edit might be eliminated by having a .module directive
that adds something to the internal mime type table.  We already have a
bunch of magic internal mime types.

With two such changes I might get it down to:

./configure --with-apache --with-mysql --mime-ext=.phtml
make install
./Configure
make

-Rasmus