httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject Re: child process limits
Date Sat, 25 Oct 1997 10:58:10 GMT
On Fri, 24 Oct 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> This came up a few months ago, a fellow here posted a patch he was using.
> It wasn't something we could include in the distribution though.  See also
> PR#1028 for my ideas regarding memory resources.

I had a look. I 'solve' my memory hogging processes (if they should ever
occur accidentally) by starting the parent with memory limits..
ulimit -Hd 30000 ; /usr/local/httpd/httpd -d /usr/local/httpd
This has worked well for me. The problem I saw recently wasn't a
process increasing in size, it was just hogging the cpu.

Maybe I need to do something similar with cpu usage. Looking at top,
a parent process on one of my servers has used 3 seconds of cpu in
the last 6 quiet hours. Maybe it's safe to assume that my parent
process will never use >5 minutes of cpu time in a 24 hour period.

I think I'm risking the parent process doing it this way, has
anyone looked into anything similar ?