httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject -DHIGH_SLACK_LINE=256 and irix 6.2 (fwd)
Date Sat, 04 Oct 1997 20:11:31 GMT

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 13:26:56 -0500 (CDT)
From: Adam Martin <adam@primary.net>
To: apache-bugs@apache.org
Subject: -DHIGH_SLACK_LINE=256 and irix 6.2

Hi,
 	It would seem that the problems described here:

*) Attempt to work around problems with third party libraries that do not
     handle high numbered descriptors (examples include bind, and
     solaris libc).  On all systems apache attempts to keep all permanent
     descriptors above 15 (called the low slack line).  Solaris users
     can also benefit from adding -DHIGH_SLACK_LINE=256 to EXTRA_CFLAGS
     which keeps all non-FILE * descriptors above 255.  On all systems
     this should make supporting large numbers of vhosts with many open
     log files more feasible.  If this causes trouble please report it,
     you can disable this workaround by adding -DNO_SLACK to EXTRA_CFLAGS.
     [Dean Gaudet] various PRs

  *) Related to the last entry, network sockets are now opened before
     log files are opened.  The only known case where this can cause
     problems is under Solaris with many virtualhosts and many Listen
     directives.  But using -DHIGH_SLACK_LINE=256 described above will
     work around this problem.  [Dean Gaudet]

are also subject to IRIX 6.2.

we came accross this when our virtual host # in httpd.conf exceeded 244
(the actual # of aliased IPs on this machine is 260)

when going over this limit odd things like httpd not starting
because it couldn't open the error_log file (apache 1.2.4)
and our cgi's core dumping upon access (apache 1.2.0).

adding -DHIGH_SLACK_LINE=256 in apache 1.2.4 and recompiling seemed
to fix the problem.

Thanks,

Adam Martin
Primary Network System Administrator