httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@ukweb.com>
Subject RE: [STATUS] Fri Oct 24 21:45:20 EDT 1997
Date Mon, 27 Oct 1997 11:25:51 GMT
On Sun, 26 Oct 1997, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> From the fingers of Paul Sutton flowed the following:
> >I'm kind of not in favour of anything which is '95 specific. I don't think
> >it is a good enough OS(*) to run a web server on. I would rather
> >concentrate on making it work as well as possible under NT (and in
> >particular NT5), which has a very different control/interface metaphor.
>
>     I don't understand.  What's W95-specific about a trayapp?  I use
>     them all the time on my NT4 box, too.  Sure, they don't work on NT3,
>     but is anyone running 1.3b2 on that platform?

Tray-apps work and are part of the interface on NT4, but are normally used
for interactive programs, not services. Services are normally managed by
separate applications (which themselves of course could use the tray for
notifications). And in particular in NT5 services will be managed via a
new container (the management console). So a tray app interface built now
may not be relevent in NT5.

//pcs