httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@ukweb.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apachen/src/main alloc.c util_script.c
Date Mon, 20 Oct 1997 14:21:37 GMT
On 20 Oct 1997 ben@hyperreal.org wrote:
>    	    }
>   +	/* FIXME: Probably ought to do this in another buffer - Ben */
>   +	/* This really annoys me - Win95 (and not NT) spawn[vl]e don't like '/'! - Ben */
>   +	for(s=r->filename ; *s ; ++s)
>   +	    if(*s == '/')
>   +		*s='\\';
>
>    	if ((!r->args) || (!r->args[0]) || (ind(r->args, '=') >= 0)) {
>    	    if (is_exe || is_binary) {

Ben, have you found this necessary now? When Ambarish's first NT port came
to light I noticed that my Win95 machines would not run CGI without
exactly this patch, but you could run CGI fine:

| Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 14:18:08 +0100 (BST)
| From: Ben Laurie <ben@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
| To: dev-nt@apache.org
| Subject: Re: [BUG] spawning children on Win95
|
| Paul Sutton wrote:
| > I couldn't get CGI to work on Windows 95... the reason seems to be that
| > spawn*() functions do not understand forward slashes (/) in the pathname.

| Hmmm ... I've got CGI working on Win95, without changes. But you are right,
| / _used_ to work fine instead of \ everywhere, but now some functions need it.
| Irritating, isn't it?
|
| I suppose the way you are doing your CGIs must be different from me...

This could've have been fixed way back in May, though I guess that
perhaps MS have been fiddling with the system calls in service packs
and IE4 "upgrades".

Incidently it would be nice if the patched code used the Apache style
guide.

//pcs